Good communication with family of a senior client is an essential part of your caregiver business
Caregiver communication with the family of a senior client who requires care services, is the second most important part of your caregiver position, the first is the quality care that you provide for the senior.
The family is always curious to know how the care is going on a daily basis, and if the caregiving services are being provided as they were originally discussed.
Good communication is extremely valuable, and provides so much comfort for the family. A great way to stay in touch is virtually. This method is essential when your senior client does not live in close proximity to their family. Right now we are faced with a global pandemic and borders are closed. For a caregiver to be able to create a connect is priceless.
Connect virtually and watch the joy between your senior clients and their family. No words can express how grateful a family will be for your presence and service. Think of yourself as the bridge, because you allow the technology to do what it is meant to do.
FREE Virtual Meeting Software
- Select your FREE meeting platform (Zoom, Skype, Google Hangout) and do a test meeting with someone. With zoom you can do a test with yourself
- It is very important that your computer connection is stable
- Check that your audio is working and that you do not get any feedback or echo sounds.
- Test the connection before the call, and set up a simple, clean (uncluttered) background, and where your senior clients will be most comfortable.
- Set up the video chat at least 30 mins to 1 hour before your scheduled meeting.
- Enjoy the happiness that surrounds you on the call-you made this happen!:)
It is also important as a private caregiver to send regular emails, or call the family member in charge of care from time to time and have a one on one chat to update each other. This is a great time to let the family know your overall general observations, or any recent changes in the senior’s mental or physical state.
When the opportunity presents itself let the family know any extra initiatives you have been taking to add value to their senior loved one(s) life. Good and effective communication with the family of your senior client(s) is will be one of the determining factor to the success of your caregiver business. Most of your business will come from referrals of the families that you previously worked for.
If you are just reading this and just in the process of contemplating starting a caregiver business then you may find our ‘How to Start a Senior Care Business’ useful. This guide will give you a well rounded view of what is involved in becoming a private caregiver, and if it is something that you could see yourself doing as a career. If you decide to move forward with it then you will have all the necessary tools to get you started. We have all the senior care business templates you will need.
If you plan to hire caregivers to work under your company, you will need all of the following templates:
- Senior information form
- Fall risk assessment tool 🆕
- Senior care quote template
- Caregiver job description template
- Terms of senior care service agreement
- Daily care journal
- Housekeeping Checklist
- Personal hygiene chart
- Senior care invoice
- Caregiver job post sample
- Hiring caregiver checklist
- Caregiver employment application form
- Pre-interview questionnaire form
- Caregiver interview questionnaire
- Reference questionnaire
- Caregiver employment agreement form
- Tax receipt for senior care services
Both the word documents as well as the Excel spreadsheets can be altered, added too or parts removed. Customize all these documents and forms to fit your exact senior care business.