What are the caregiver career options in 2019?
Caregivers have the unique opportunity and privilege of adding value and quality to a seniors life. They also have a front row seat to our past and how we got to where we are today.
It is a incredibly special position to be in and a great experience for both a private caregiver and senior to see from both sides how we are connected and why we are important to each other.
A caregiver career for seniors from a business perspective is one of the fastest growing industries world wide due to the rapid large aging baby boomer generation.
Around the world we see more government facilities, programs and tax breaks available to seniors in order to facilitate this population growth. We also see many retirement community style buildings going up at an alarmingly fast rate.
Some senior based “communities” offer caregiver services such as meal plans, nursing assistance but they are not all created equal, and some will benefit from outside resourcing of homecare agencies or private caregivers on file to offer an additional resource when necessary. Many private residences outsource the extra help needed.
The job title caregiver is also known as:
Home support worker (HWS)
Depending on where you live certification may be required and you should look into local laws regarding the matter as well as courses available to train you in class or online. A caregiver career working with seniors starts above minimum wage, and the job itself requires a caregiver to possess a natural affinity to be with seniors.
A private caregiver career for seniors is extremely rewarding, interesting, insightful, exciting, informative, as well as a prosperous career with limitless growth potential. Caregivers can work with local government in public programs or housing, private residences, Home care, and care agencies.
Here we offer customizable caregiver documents that make having a caregiver career more secure than ever before. Cover and protect yourself the same way agencies do.
Ask the right questions, put all the information between you the caregiver and family members in writing. To sign on the dotted line eliminates any chance of confusion as to what is expected in regards to the care provided for the senior.
Those of you who are taking a serious look at starting or changing your career into the area of professional caregiving, these templates will provide you with the confidence in starting your own senior care business.
Caregiver job requirements:
- Flexibility with scheduling
- Own and be able to operate a communication device:Own a car and have valid driver’s license
- Record must be clean
- Driving record will be obtained, accessed and reviewed.
- Ability to read, write and speak English and French (flexible )
- other languages an asset
- Adaptable to new situations and environments
- Be a good listener
- Ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- Ability to multi task
- Friendly nature
- Work ethic and drive
- Minimum age
- High school or college diploma
- Ability to lift 75 pounds
- Proof of eligibility to work in location
- 2-3 years of caregiver experience preferred
- Cooking and housekeeping
- Laundry and changing bed linens
- Bathing, dressing and grooming assistance
- Transportation to doctor appointments, supermarket and pharmacy
- Assist with walking and transfers from bed to wheelchair
- Medication reminders
- Appropriate work clothing attire