Ideas of how to find private caregivers
Consider the following before you start looking for a private caregiver
- What type and what level of healthcare training is needed?
- Any language skills or other special skills needed.
- Experience working with memory impairments or other disabilities.
- Ability to operate any special equipment.
- Has a valid driver’s license
- A person in good health (proof of negative covid-19 test)
After you have determined what kind of in-home help you were looking for the next step in this process is how to find private caregivers by placing your job posting in the right places. Knowing exactly what you’re looking for in a private caregiver is helpful when sorting through all of the individuals providing caregiving services.
Caregiving services can really benefit a senior in several different ways. Every senior is unique and has their own set of essential needs that have to be met, as well as what they want on a daily basis. Some seniors want to get out and about with a caregiver present in order to socialize and stay active in the community, while other seniors find comfort in being home and enjoy having a caregiver present for companionship. Now more than ever with COVID-19 present our seniors need to still be able to connect in order to thrive in daily life. 😷
The very first thing to do before you look for a caregiver is to determine exactly what type of services that your senior loved one(s) will require write a detailed caregiver job description, including the specific services you will expect from the private caregiver that you hire.
Private caregiving services
Assistance getting to the grocery store or making an online order. Everyday chores such as grocery shopping can be overwhelming for seniors. A senior will tend to plan the whole day around a a simple trip to the grocery store. A caregiver can assist with this task and take all the stress out of what may seem like a complicated and draining event.
Accompany senior to:
A caregiver can be your set of eyes and ears at an appointment, likewise he/she can request to record audio, or ask the medical professional to send you a summary of findings to you by email.
✔️Beauty & Spa
For safety and the health of a senior it is imperative-especially now during COVID-19 to keep a seniors home, or room in a care facility clean, and free of the virus.
✔️Wiping down all touched surfaces with alcohol 70%+
✔️Vacuum Floors / Sofa / Drapes
✔️Clean and disinfect bathroom
✔️Wipe down kitchen area
Bathing & Grooming 🛁
✔️In and out of bath
✔️Cut finger & toe nails
✔️Assistance with toilet/diapers
Meal Prep 🍽️
Same day preparation or advanced preparation.
✔️Serve breakfast, lunch, supper, or snack
✔️Set up table for next meal
✔️Cook and freeze 1-2 portion meals-label-reheat as needed
✔️Purchase pre-made meals that can be frozen
Exercise with Senior 🎳
Pet Care 🐾
Senior outings 🚗
A caregiver can accompany a senior to a variety of activities and events: (Certain activities are reduced due to COVID-19)
Resources for finding qualified private caregivers
- Referrals from family and friends
- Independent living centers, senior centers, religious congregations, or national health organizations (i.e. Alzheimer’s Association)
- Local College/University career offices, especially those with nursing or social work programs
- Bank Trustees, Investment Bankers, and Notaries may also be good sources to turn to. Often times quality caregivers will reach out to professionals who may benefit from having this additional value to extend to their senior clients when home assistance is required.
As an employer you can post your caregiver job listing, or you can search the resumes and profiles of job seekers on many websites offering free postings for caregivers and families looking for caregivers.
Visit caregiving advertising for more information on where to post your ad.
Templates included when you download ‘Hiring a Private Caregiver’
- HIRE A PRIVATE CAREGIVER CHECKLIST (use for each caregiver candidate)
- CAREGIVER APPLICATION FORM (send to candidates)
- CAREGIVER JOB DESCRIPTION (job expectations in writing)
- SENIOR CARE INFORMATION FORM (use for emergency purpose too)
- CAREGIVER EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENT (detailed agreement)
- BASIC CAREGIVER EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT (short version)
- SENIOR CARE INVOICE (non-medical)
- YEARLY TAX RECEIPT FOR SENIOR CARE (give to caregiver to fill out)
- DAILY SENIOR CARE JOURNAL (have caregiver fill out after each visit)
- HOUSEKEEPING CHECKLIST FOR SENIOR’s HOME/RESIDENCE
- PERSONAL HYGIENE CHART FOR SENIOR CARE (important when more than one caregiver is involved)
- PRE-INTERVIEW QUESTIONNAIRE (send via email for pre-screening)
- CAREGIVER INTERVIEW QUESTIONNAIRE (full in person/virtual meeting)
- REFERENCE CHECK QUESTIONNAIRE (for past employer)
- SAMPLE JOB POSTING TEMPLATE (ideas for your job post)
- COVID-19 SCREENING CAREGIVER FORM FOR VISITORS 🆕